- If you laid all the aluminum cans recycled in 2010 end to end, they could circle the earth 169 times.
- In America, 105,800 cans are recycled every minute.
- Recycling aluminum saves 95% of the energy it would have taken to process the same amount from a virgin source.
- Your television can run for 3 hours from the energy saved by recycling one can.
- Aluminum cans are worth about a penny each.
- The industry pays more than $1 billion annually for recycled cans.
In New York state, we pay a five cent deposit on aluminum cans, then get it back when we turn the cans in. Some recycle centers will pay six cents a can on certain days. It’s worth it to save them up if you have the space and are a pre-planner to take them back on the right day. At some large supermarkets there are machines you insert the can into and it is immediately shredded, the crux, it can’t already be crushed. When you are finished you get a receipt for how much money you have coming back to use toward your groceries.
So next time you have a nice cold beverage out of an aluminum can; recycle that can to add to the above statistics.