S’mores used to be made around a campfire or bonfire in the back yard if you lived in the country. They were, and still are, a staple as an evening snack at Boy and Girl Scout, church, and 4-H camps. But times change, city homes now have movable fire pits in the yard and S’mores can be enjoyed anywhere. Once when my children were small we toasted marshmallows over a candle and enjoyed  S’mores at the kitchen table.

Just in case you don’t know what a S’more is; it is a graham cracker snapped in half so a toasted marshmallow and a half of a chocolate bar can be inserted. Taking a bite of a S’more almost guarantees the marshmallow spurting out the sides and getting on your nose or chin. If you take too long to delight in the flavor of this dessert, the chocolate can  melt onto your hands, or your face. I suggest when you buy the ingredients to make this treat, also get some wet-nap hand wipes, or when eating them, you have a wet rag near by for clean-up.

When I was a kid, my older sisters were in charge of finding just the right stick to use to put the marshmallow on so I could hold it over the fire in order to toast the gooey sphere. One of my sisters liked to toast her’s to a golden brown on all sides. Me, I lived dangerously, setting the marshmallow on fire and letting it burn black before blowing out the flame. Sometimes because it was so hot, I would lose a marshmallow to the fire when it dropped off. Now days I am aware of the carcinogens I would ingest eating a burned marshmallow, but if I can only have two or three a year, I think I would eat it anyway.

I haven’t been around an open fire lately so I haven’t had a S’more in years. Maybe next time I am with my grandson, I will take the necessary ingredients along with a candle and a long fork. I’m a little wiser now, in some areas, I’ll take him out to the patio table so we don’t set off a smoke alarm in the house. I know he’ll let his dog lick his face clean while I wash up in the bathroom.